Bonus: Justice with Josh Milburn
Podcaster and philosopher Josh Milburn is on the Animal Turn to talk about his latest book and how the concept of justice is central to imagining a future world in which the rights of animals are respected. Claudia and Josh discuss the political turn in animal ethics, some of the tensions between animal rights and veganism, as well as the role cellular agriculture might play in a future zoopolitical world.
About Josh Milburn
Josh Milburn is a Lecturer in Political Philosophy in the division of International Relations, Politics and History at Loughborough University in the UK. He is the author of Just Fodder: The Ethics of Feeding Animals (2022) and Food, Justice, and Animals: Feeding the World Respectfully (2023). He is also the host of the animal studies podcast Knowing Animals. Find out more about Josh on his website and connect with him on Twitter or Instagram.
· Food, Justice, and Animals: Feeding the World Respectfully by Josh Milburn
· Death Free Dairy? The Ethics of Clean Milk by Josh Milburn
· Zoopolis: A Political Theory of Animal Rights by Sue Donaldson and Will Kymlicka
· The Future of Meat without Animals by Brianne Donaldson and Christopher Carter with a chapter by Carol Adams titled “Ethical Spectacles and Seitan Making; Beyond the Sexual Politics of Meat.”
· Putting Humans first: Why we are Nature’s Favourite by Tibor R. Machen
Thank you to Animals in Philosophy, Politics, Law and Ethics (A.P.P.L.E) for sponsoring this podcast, to Jeremy John for the logo and Gordon Clarke or the bed music. Thank you to Christiaan Menz for his editing work. This podcast is produced and hosted by Claudia Towne Hirtenfelder